Sunday, August 25, 2013

Oven Pancakes


Last week when having lunch with my friend Paige, we started talking about the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten. I was telling her about my favorite recipe, Tri-berry Oven Pancakes, from the Back To Basics cookbook.  


. I've been thinking about it ever since and HAD to make them. We both love her recipes, Paige records the episodes, and makes them, I love that! I don't have enough time or the patience for that. Which is one of the reasons I love this recipe so much, it's simple, but looks fancy, and all in under 20 minutes. This is a great recipe when you have company staying, because it looks like you went to alot of trouble. While they are baking you have time to make the rest of breakfast.

Here is the finished product.


The recipe, see below the recipe, for how I altered it

Tri-berry Oven Pancakes
1 Cup each raspberries, blueberries, and sliced strawberries
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 4 teaspoons for the dishes
3 extra large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
Maple syrup and confectioners' sugar, for garnish 


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Gently combine the berries and sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Place 4 (6-7) individual gratin dishes on two sheet pans. Place 1 teaspoon butter in each dish and set aside. 

Place the eggs the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, and beat on medium speed until mixed. Add the milk and combine. Slowly add the flour, vanilla, orange zet, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, and the salt and mix until smooth. Whisk by hand if the mixture is lumpy.

Place the gratin dishes in the oven for 3 minutes, until the butter is hot and bubbly. Make sure the butter covers the bottom of each dish. Immediately divide the batter among the gratin dishes and bake for 12 to 14 minuted, until puffed and lightly browned. Divide the berries among the dishes, drizzle with maple syrup, dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve hot.


Her version of course will come out perfect, as you see here...

Problem is I don't have gratin dishes. I tried to track some down, but the only thing I found for individual dishes were from Sur La Table, and  at $9.00 a piece, they were a bit pricey for me. So I decided to stick with creme brulee type ramekins. I bought 6, on sale they were about $2 a piece. Much more within my budget.  I fit 6 on a heavy duty cookie sheet. I still put the bits of butter in each dishes, and melted it in the oven for a minute or two. 




When dividing the batter among the dishes, just use enough to cover the bottom plus a bit more. Half way full is to much. The bottom gets to doughy if you put to much in . I always have left overs with 6 dishes, you could use seven of the dishes, and it would be perfect (and your going to want more than one of these). 


I put it in for about 15 min, but keep an eye on it. It puffs up a couple inches, so make sure your racks aren't to close together.  
Half way through cooking

Done cooking


When they come out, the inside on the bottoms looks a bit bubbly, but as long as it's not giggly its done, the edges should also be a bit toasty and browned. 


Take them out of the dishes right away, or the bottom starts to stick. Plate them, fill them, and dust some powdered sugar on. It couldnt be easier. I did forget the oranges on one occasion, not as good... DON"T forget the oranges. The zest is vital :)




My family loves this recipe, It's a very light dish. The pancakes are very airy, so there's not as much guilt!!
Try it next time your family is in town, or when your making a brunch for some friends, and its so simple, even just for the kids on the weekend. 



1 comment :

  1. Man if I would have read this before I went to H.E.B I would have gotten all the stuff and sent my kids off to school right :-). I love it! What a great blog girl!! Great pics too :-)

    ReplyDelete